Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's a BOY!!!

Ok so I am a little behind on my blog and everyone knows we had a boy!!  So let me start from the beginning.  We were scheduled for induction on July 5th and my Dr. knew I wanted to try anything possible to have a vaginal birth so that's what the plans were.  We got to the hospital about 7:00pm (we weren't supposed to be there til 8) but thank goodness we went early we didn't have to wait as long as the others did.  We got all checked in and were in a room by a little before 10 I think.  One couple that came in after we did had to wait a really long time and were not very happy.  Shortly after getting in my room the nurse came in and started my IV and then came back about 30 minutes later and started my cervadil. The cervadil was to help soften my cervix and they had to leave this in over night.  Now starting on the 6th I have no idea of times and stuff I will just kind of guesstimate.  I woke up sometime in the night with contractions that weren't bad but enough to keep me awake.  They came in around 5am to take out the cervadil and it had worked..yay...and I was dialated to a 2.  Then they came in a little later and started me on pitocin.  After that my contractions started getting worse and closer together.  They came and checked me off and on and let me tell you that is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever been through.  Around 9ish Dr. Nanda came in and decided to break my water and that wasn't very pleasant either but hey it had to be done.  The contractions just kept getting stronger and stronger.  Shortly after that the nurse came in and checked and said she could stretch me to 5cm and asked if I was ready for my epidural.  I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and even though they were awful I was trying to fight through them as long as I could.  She left and about 20 minutes later I sent Bert to find her cause I was ready.  It took the team a little while to get there but I was happy to see them when they finally showed up.  Bert had to leave the room but once they were done he came back in.  The nurse stayed in the room with us for a little while to keep an eye on things.  Well everytime I would have a contractions I could feel it on my left side and I kept telling her that and I could feel my left leg.  She rolled me to the side to try and get the medicine to drain but the baby did not like that and his heart rate would drop so she put me back on my back.  The anesthesiologist came back in and gave me some more medicine but it still wasn't kicking in.  Then after every contractions the baby's heart rate and oxygen would drop so they put me on oxygen.  Right at 11 Bert decided to go eat real quick before things really started progressing and the nurse stayed with me in the room.  While he was gone Dr. Cook comes in and checks everything out and he said the best thing for the baby right now is if we went ahead and did a c-section.  I was still only halfway along and things just weren't looking good.  He asked where Bert was and said we will wait on him so I sent him a text to hurry.  I was a nervous wreck and I think my poor husband was too but he was trying to keep me from seeing it.  They got me all set up and down the hall we went to the OR room.  They made Bert leave the room while they did my spinal and he said later it felt like he was out of the room forever.  They started off having a little bit of problems cause I could still feel a little on my left side.  Finally I wasn't able to feel anything.  Bert came in and sat down by my head and I was just shaking like crazy but they said the medicine will do that.  I asked if they had started and Dr. Cook said yep so I was happy that I couldn't feel a single thing.  Bert got up once to look but sat right back down and didn't say anything.  Dr. Cook asked who I wanted to tell me the sex and I thought for a minute but I really wanted Bert to tell me so they told him when to look.  He stood up and said It's a....and paused for a really long time it felt like.  We both really thought that it was going to be a girl this whole time that when he saw it wasn't he just kind of froze.  Finally he said it's a BOY!!!  He weighed 8lbs 4ozs and was 21" long.  They wrapped him up and Bert brought him over to me.  My baby Brody Lee was here and I was so happy and just started crying!!  Dr. Cook left the room and asked if I wanted him to go tell our families and I said yes cause I wanted Bert to stay with me in recovery cause I was getting real sick feeling I needed him there.  They were taking me down the hall and her comes my mother and she was like well what is the baby??  I said it's a boy and she was really happy so I sent her to tell everyone else.  During the c-section I had lost a lot of blood and that's why I wasn't feeling to great so I had to spend quiet a bit of time in recovery.  While I was there the lactation consultant came in to talk to us...she explained a lot to us but I was still pretty much out of it and don't remember much of that.  I do remember when we took Brody off the left side I had a big blood clot in the middle and we switched sides and the same thing happened.  Once my blood pressure was up and I was feeling better they took me to my room and I sent for everyone to come in.  They took a while to bring Brody back in to us and everyone was just so anxious to see him.  We had a lot of visitors during the day and then more came at night to see our little angel.  When everyone was gone we asked the nurse if we could send him to the nursery for the night so we could try and get some rest...ha...we should of just kept him.  Between them coming in to check me every 3 hours and him coming in to be fed every 2 hours we didn't get any kind of sleep.  Feeding was not going to good and the next day (thursday) we had the lactaion consultant in and out all day and then finally they brought me a pump to see if that made things any better.  We pumped a little and fed it to him through a syringe but I was so sore that pumping was not very comfortable either.  Brody did not pass his hearing test but they said for a c-section baby that was normal cause of fluids still in the ears.  Then the nurse came in to take him back for his circumcision and they had him for a little while so we got a little bit of rest in between.  My mom came to stay with me so Bert could get out of the hospital for a little bit...while he was gone I finally got to take a shower and start eating normal food...I was so happy!!   We had a few more visitors Thursday evening.  After they left we decided we were going to keep Brody with us.  It went ok but we didn't get much rest.  They came and got him at 5 am Friday morning to run some test on him again since his levels were a little high for jaundice.  They came back and said they were still a little high but nothing to worry about.  Then the lady came back in for his hearing test.  This time he passed!!!  Dr. Melham came to check on me around 9ish and was like so you get to go home tomorrow (Saturday) I said I wish I could go home today.  He looked at me and goes do you wanna go home today?? I said yes and that I was really feeling good.  He asked me a few questions and was like ok I will release you and will get the pediatrician to see if they will release Brody.  A little later they came in checked Brody out and said ok we will release him!!!  Bert and I were so happy to finally be getting out of that place we immediately started packing.  I had already taken a shower for the day so we got everything together in like 30 mins then the waiting game started.  We had to do all the discharge paperwork which didn't take long to do it just took long for them to get to the room with it.  Then we had to wait for the cart to come and get us and our stuff and we were out of there at 3:00pm!!  The ride home was good.  Brody started squealing a little as we were turning into our drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment